Qualified as Driver Class III (Wheeled and Tracked) on April 30, 1943.
The 17th Duke of York's Royal Canadian Hussars (7th Reconnaissance Regiment, 7th RECCE) war diary reports on October 19, 1944: The Squadrons were again ordered to push forward and link up with 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade. "A" Squadron were still waiting for the Buffalos, which did not show up until late afternoon, too late to be of any use that day. However, three of their troops proceeded on foot along the Leopold Canal and got as far as Moershoofde (0502, Vlotweg/ Kleine Vlotweg, Belgium), without meeting any opposition. There they contacted patrols of then 52nd RECCE Regiment (Brits), just west of the town who had been sent out to mortar the place. "B" Squadron managed to get as far as Het Eiland, Netherlands (Sint Joris polder) area, and late in the afternoon "C" Squadron managed to push on to Aardenburg (0005, YdeWalleweg/ Eedeweg, Netherlands) in spite of difficult road conditions, mines and fallen trees. Lieutenant Banks' troop was the first to enter Aardenburg, Netherlands, followed immediately by Squadron HQ. Here they met "A" Coy of 6 HLI, part of the 157 British Brigade of the 52nd Lowland Division. This Coy had entered Aardenburg from the east. 30 PW's were taken and placed in the local jail.
The Burgomaster (Burgermeester Theodorus Matthias Overmaat) greeted the Squadron and offered them the use of the city hall as a HQ. The offer was accepted and the Sqn HQ was set up in the Rathaus (Raadhuis) cellar, which had been a German HQ a few hours previous. This created a very uneasy feeling in RHQ due to the large gap between "C" Squadron's right and "B" Squadron's left flanks.