Lorlie, Saskatchewan, Canada
Son of Henry and Eliza McLeod, of Lorlie, Saskatchewan, Canada
Roman Catholic
Service number
1941-01-07, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
1941-04-19, United Kingdom
1944-07-07, France
Date of death
Belgium, Died accidentally
Plot 10 | Row A | Grave 2


Additional info

Assigned to the 6 Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery on August 20, 1941 in the U.K.

I am Sapper Ort D.F. 28 Company, 9 Battalion, 3 C.B.R.G. attached to Bn MT section. I had gone into Gent, Belgium on the evening of 18 Jun '45 in the liberty truck but failed to come back on it. I was walking back and had just reached the junction of the by-pass over the railway when I saw a civilian vehicle stopped and two soldiers getting onto it. I ran to the truck and asked if I also might have a ride. I climbed onto the right from mudguard with my feet on the running board near Private Brass. We had proceeded about three miles towards camp when I noticed a vehicle approaching with a small lamp only showing. The lamp was on the right side of the vehicle. As it drew nearer I saw it was an Army truck and that it was on our side of the road. When it appeared certain that there was going to be an accident I rolled off the civilian vehicle to the road. When I picked myself up I found that the Army vehicle involved in the accident had swerved across to his own side of the road and was stopped at the side of the road. The trailer which he had been towing was on its side where the collision had taken place. The civilian truck had been pushed around by the impact and had stopped on the left side of the road with its front against a tree. I called Pte Brass and asked him if he was all right. He replied that he was and called out for Gunner McLeod, who had been riding on the left side of the truck. There was no answer so we went around and found Gnr McLeod lying face downwards on the road. Shook him by the shoulder but there was no reaction so I turned him over on his back and found that the left of his face was badly cut. I tried for his pulse in his wrist but could feel none. The next thing I did was to try o get to a telephone but I was unable to do this. After three or four minutes I saw a truck coming down the road from Brussel, Belgium and decided to stop it and try to get Gnr McLeod to hospital in time to do something for him. There was an Officer in the truck and he agreed to take McLeod to hospital. I accompanied him in the vehicle leaving Pte Brass at the scene of the accident. When we arrived at the hospital we reported to the A&D room that we had an injured man with us. A Medical Officer came out and looked at Gnr McLeod. He pronounced him dead. After taking the body to the hospital morgue the Officer and I proceed to the Canadian Provost Corps, No1 L of C H.Q. Here the Officers name was taken and then the Officer went away. The Provost asked me for the particulars of the accident and then took me back to the scene of the accident in a Jeep. When we arrived back there was an English Military Police taking particulars of the accident from Pte Brass and the civilians who had been in the truck. There was no sign of a driver from the Army vehicle involved of the accident. After the Cdn Provost had investigated the scene of the accident they brought us back to camp and took a statement from Pte Brass and me in the M.T. office.