Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Son of Frederick Horne and Molly Howard of Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Machine operator
Service number
1944-07-22, France
Date of death
Killed in action, Belgium
Algonquin Regiment, R.C.I.C.
Plot 11 | Row B | Grave 9


Military grave
Additional info

His father, Private Frederick Horne (4319), was killed in WW1 on December 8, 1915. He served with 1st Battalion Canadian Infantry (Western Ontario Regiment). His remains lay buried at Bailleul communal cemetery extension Plot 1, Row E, Grave 5 (France).

The Algonquin war diary reports on September 18, 1944: At 1300 hrs while driving in his jeep to Trieste to bring back a platoon stationed there, Major Cassidy and two OR's (other ranks) were blown by a mine. A scout platoon carrier with Lt Tompkins and two scouts had passed over the same area and shortly after that, Ptes Korpan and Fenwick of the Int Sec passed over it on their motorcycles. The jeep didn't have the same luck and on hitting the mined area was completely wrecked, the only things salvageable were the two rear tires. Maj Cassidy suffered only shock while other two occupants received wounds in the head and around the eyes. None were fatally hurt. At this time Capt Atkinson 2IC "A" Coy then took over and received orders to go through "D" Coy to the railway tracks in Assenede near the station and clean the street running due north from the station. At 1400 hrs when moving up "A" Coy met "B" Coy who had been pinned down by 88mm fire. "A" Coy then started across the fields 500 meters SW of the station. In the first field 5 PW were taken without casualties. They then crossed the next road and across the fields to the tracks with 8 platoon leading and the station being the objective. The remainder of the Coy was proceeding across the field in a ditch and was fired on by small arms fire from the right flank. There they were pinned down so 7 platoon at the rear was sent back to make a right flanking move on the fire postion. They also met with fire trying to get into position. The Coy was then ordered to withdraw to the line of houses on the intermediate road. Permission was then granted to secure support from a troop of Cdn Grenadier Guards tanks who came up to the position and went forward across the field. More PW were taken and there was some German casualties. The Coy was then able to advance to the station while the flanks were covered by the tanks and 1 platoon. They reached the station at 1930 hrs and then proceeded to clear the street down to the T road junction nearest to where the town church was burning. At 2200 hrs they consolidated on this street and then received orders to proceed to MR 224997 (Groenendijkstraat, NO of Assende, Belgium) road junction. The Coy then consolidated on both sides of the cross-roads. They were told by civilians that  a party of 14 Germans had left just 5 minutes previous to the Coys arrival. Their food and drink that they were about to eat was still on the table. At 2300 hrs they were then asked to contact "B" Coy on the left of the town, so a section patrol was sent from 7 platoon. On their way they were engaged by an enemy LMG about 150 yards from the centre of the position an suffered one casualty. The patrol then returned and as a result the Coy was ordered at 2330 hrs to withdraw to join "D" Coy in their area, SW of the railway track, proceeded back without any events and at midnight set up defensive positions and remained for the night. During this operation Sgt Horne and Pte Hall were killed, 11 OR's were wounded and 10 were missing.